Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Reverse Culture Shock

I think about NZ all day everyday!! Reverse culture shock is definitely harder than normal culture shock.  We are expected to fit in where we left off but we have grown so much and things have changed.  And subtle things weird me out like passing people on the right side and driving on the other side of the road.  And I miss NZ accents!  It's strange because these are things we've never thought about before, but now stick out  in life back home like a sore thumb.  The worst part is I don't have my NZ friends around me to talk about it and go through the adjustment together.  But that is why the "Bro-hood of the Traveling Tacky Tank Top" is awesome - Steph, Courtney, Cathy and I can keep in touch and up to date with our lives and talk about NZ.

So many people ask me the question:  "How was NZ?"  I have so much trouble answering it because a flood of memories and emotions arise that cannot be explained in words.  The best I can do is "It is the most beautiful country in the world ... epic ... life-changing ... mind-blowing."  It feels like a dream.  I really cannot believe/comprehend all that we have seen and experienced - this trip was more than I ever could have hoped for and I feel so lucky.  That's the thing ... even though I get depressed sometimes and want to go back to NZ and see everyone, I am so happy I feel this way.  That I was fortunate enough to have had the greatest experience of my life and to have made such amazing friends.  I love my life!!!

So anyways, after I said goodbye to NZ and made the long journey to NY, I spent two days with the family and then went up to Ithaca to surprise my boyfriend, Connor, and see my best friends.  Reuniting with my friends was amazing because I have missed them extremely.  It was also a great way to beat jetlag because I was so wired from excitement all day until I hit the pillow and realized how mentally/physically/emotionally exhausted I was!

So as much of a struggle this is to readjust to not-as-awesome life in NY, I am overly happy I ever shared this amazing life with amazing people for five months.  I realized the purpose of my life is to be in constant pursuit of beauty because when I find it in its many different forms, I am at peace.  Beauty can only be perceived with a serene mind which is proof that it is possible to live a dream.  Kia Ora, Aotearoa!

No comments:

Post a Comment