Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Australia: Great Barrier Reef

Wednesday Nov. 10:  Early this morning I jumped out of bed in excitement because we were about to see one of the seven natural wonders of the world!!  The Great Barrier Reef!!  It is the world's largest reef system and the world's biggest single structure made by living organisms. 

On the boat to the reef
Suited up in our wetsuits
We went to the wharf to catch the Sunkist boat.  We had a nice hot two hour ride out to the reef.  I was originally going to snorkel instead of scuba dive because I was worried about my sensitive right ear.  But then all of a sudden I changed my mind and knew I would have regretted not scuba diving the greatest reef in the world.  I did an intro scuba dive which was absolutely amazing and worth the pain in my ear which ended up not being as bad as it was in Bermuda.  We dove eight meters deep and was awestruck.  The reef and fish were intensely diverse and colourful.  I saw giant clams, held sea cucumbers, followed beautiful fish, and so much more.  I also got to snorkel at two different locations.  I've snorkeled many times in my life but nothing can beat this.

Great Barrier Reef
We got free lunch and hung out on the deck getting a little sunburnt.  After an amazing day soaking up the sun and in an underwater dreamland, we had free dinner at the woolshed and went to sleep with another world wonder under our belts.

No comments:

Post a Comment