Thursday, September 16, 2010

South Island Road Trip: Part 1

WOWWWWW how do I even begin to describe the most epic trip of my life???  We'll start from the beginning...

Snuggle time
Monday, Sept 6:  Stephanie (Docta Peppers), Courtney (Snortney / C-Love), Cathy (Kitty Cat), and I (Shonaynay) hopped in our Jucy campervan.  We rented a 3 person van with only a double bed so it was very snug!!  Cathy, Courtney, and I lay straight while Stephanie squeezed in across the bed at our heads.  Thank goodness for her shortness!  But it had everything we needed, including a cute little kitchen area.  So on this fine day we drove through Arthur's Pass National Park.  It was absolutely beautiful!  We passed Smiley's and Castle Hill where we had our orientation trip way back in the day.  That night we stayed at a Top 10 campervan park - one that I have stayed in before with my family!  I am so happy to be with these girls.  We laughed so hard the first night.

Fox Glacier
Tuesday, Sept 7:  Today we planned on walking up to Fox Glacier, but the walkway was closed due to flooding.  We still got a very good view of the 13 km ice wonder from afar though.  Then we went on the most beautiful drive of our lives!!  Driving the west coast toward Wanaka just kept getting better.  We stopped at a bunch of lookouts and beaches.  Every sight I saw, I thought to myself, this is the greatest thing I've ever seen.  But every corner we turned proved me wrong!  It kept getting more and more beautiful.  My brain couldn't handle it - my eyes are too small for my mind!

Beach

Most beautiful lake
I got behind the wheel for the first time in New Zealand on the most beautiful part of the drive.  It was weird driving on the left side, but it is like Scotland so I got the hang of it pretty quickly.  However the indicator is on the right side of the wheel which still messes me up.  I drove around a huge lake.  The water was a bluish/teal - an amazing colour I have never seen water be before.  The mountains were so high!  I think we must have jumped inside a painting - this can't be real life.  All of our minds hurt and we were at a loss for words.  All we could talk about was how we could never describe this to anyone back home.  No one can ever know these feelings of utter beauty unless experienced first hand.  Even I don't fully comprehend what I am feeling and how I got here.  Life is beautiful.  I believe the purpose of my life is to find beauty.  This is it.
Driving

We got to Wanaka which is such an amazing and cute town.  We ate dinner by the lake and then walked around the town before heading to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment