Thursday, September 16, 2010

South Island Road Trip: Milford Sound to Invercargill


Friday, Sept 10:  Today we hopped on the Cruize Milford Sound tour.  We spent 30 breathtaking minutes sailing through the most famous visitor destination in New Zealand.  Although I've already cruised around here with my family, the spectacular sights of waterfalls cascading from sheer rock faces rising 1,200 metres or more from the sea, lush rain forests clinging precariously to the cliffs, and the seals, penguins and dolphins that play in the waters, will never cease to amaze me.

Milford Sound
Mirror Lakes
On the drive back, we stopped at the Mirror Lakes, Dunn Lake, and the Chasm.  So beautiful!!  Finally we made it back to Te Anau to get food, gas, and walk around.  I bought two used books I can't wait to read - Memoirs of a Geisha, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  Afterwards, I drove us all the way to Invercargill via the scenic route.  The sights were no less than amazing again and the sunset wsas the coolest deep pink I have ever seen.

We are so sketch haha.  When we arrived in Invercargill we parked at McDonalds and cooked dinner.  Cathy, Stephanie, and I had so much energy so we decided to explore the town.  Courtney was tired so she drove around trying to find a campsite, but the lady was really mean so she ended up at a nice beach to relax.  That night we decided to camp on the beach.  Luckily we got away with it!  Waking up on the beach was so nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment