Saturday, September 18, 2010

South Island Road Trip: The end

Monday, Sept 13:  Rest in peace Grandpa Fay and Cato.... Thinking of you and the Fay family.


It is exactly 2 months before I return to the States!  Today we drove 5 hours to Dunedin along the scenic route.  It is turning spring and I was mesmerized by all of the baby lambs and calves running around the hills.  They are so cute!  I want one!  We ate dinner at a nice spot along the Otago Peninsula and had fun chilling and talking all night.  It is so cool how we all have different pasts and have come to New Zealand for different reasons.  But now we are all experiencing New Zealand together.  We are all here for our own personal growth, but we are growing together.  I love these people.  I love NZ!

Tuesday, Sept 14:  I am exactly 20 and a half years old!  Again, time evades me.  What have I done with this past half a year?  More than I ever imagined I could.  I have realized that time will continue to run ahead no matter how hard I try to catch up with it.  So instead of worrying about it's passing, I'm excited to just roll with it.

Shells at Moeraki Boulders
Today we drove to Lake Tekapo.  Before we got there we stopped at the Moeraki Boulders.  I came here before with my family.  This time we spent ages picking up the prettiest shells i have ever seen!  They were everywhere!  We literally couldn't stop looking down and collecting them haha.

Ice Skating
Lake Tekapo lies in the center of the South Island.  This lake is a beautifully unique turquoise colour due to finely ground rock in the glacial waters.  We ended up spontaneously going ice skating at an outdoor rink that overlooked the lake and mountains.  We had the whole rink to ourselves for most of the time.  This was an awesome last night to be followed by a sketch ride in to the motor home as always.  Cathy and I hid beneath the pillows with our heads on each others shoulders, laughing uncontrollably.  I couldn't believe this was the last night of our epic campervan journey!  My life has changed so much after these four weeks of break.  I have seen and grown an insane amount.

Lake Tekapo
Wednesday, Sept 15:  We spent the day driving back home to Christchurch.  We drove through the city and saw so much of the earthquake destruction!!  They are doing a good job cleaning up but it's crazy seeing all of it first hand instead of just in the news.  We are so lucky it struck at a time when nobody was in these buildings.  I think that if it was two hours earlier or later more people would have gotten hurt.

Earthquake destruction
Anyways, we returned the campervan and I finally relaxed back at my flat.  I really appreciate space now!  My bed seems so huge and it's nice having a kitchen and table again.  Life is awesome :)

No comments:

Post a Comment