Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I never want to leave this dreamland

So many sleepovers!!  Cathy's host family is in Australia for ten days so Steph, Courtney, and I have been hanging out and sleeping over at the house.  It is so much fun and so nice to have a huge house to ourselves.  Steph and I sleep in the luxurious guest room.  The bed is heavenly!  We watch so much Jersey Shore and cook fabulous meals.  We have made exotic fish tacos, spring rolls, wantons, carrot and vegetable patties, pasta, and tons of cups of tea.  I have all of them addicted to black tea with milk now, I'm so proud!

Sunday Cathy, Steph, Courtney, and I kayaked down the Avon River.   After, we got coffee and sat in the grass along the river and talked.  It was a great way to start a Sunday!
Kayaking the Avon River

Last Monday night we had our IES final dinner.  We all dressed up and enjoyed a delicious three course meal on a moving tram through Christchurch.  I love IES! 
IES Family

It was so sad receiving all the parting documents titled "Goodbye New Zealand, Hello America."  I never want to leave this dreamland.  A few months ago I stepped onto New Zealand soil for the first time and so much has happened since then, more than I ever could have imagined, and I have grown and seen more than I can ever describe.  I had to adjust to new people, new accents, new classes, and new land.  I've worked out how to find the best deals for travel and accommodation, I've spent every weekend and holiday exploring the country.  I've made new friends, some whom I will be friends with forever.  We all come from different backgrounds and we all came to New Zealand for different reasons, but we have experienced it together and these people understand what I feel when I look over a bay from the top of Abel Tasman, find magical plankon in the water, stand at the top of the Nevis Bungy, drive the west coast in a campervan...  I am not the same person as the one who arrived here in June.  My knowledge has expanded, my attitudes have changed, my view of home, people, and issues have changed.  This truly is one of the greatest chapters of my life.  I think it is going to be more difficult returning home than arriving here.  I must prepare myself for reverse culture shock.  I know I will miss New Zealand intensely.  Instead of returning to my old life, I am going to view it as starting a new chapter of my life after NZ.  I can't just be content with my life.  I need to live my life by going on adventures and traveling and exploring and having fun constantly doing different things.  And I will get my friends to do it with me.  Everyone needs to study abroad.  The purpose of my life is to find beauty.  I find it every moment here in New Zealand and I my goal is to continue to find it where ever my future holds.

But I still have a few weeks left!  And Stephanie and I just booked our flights to Australia for October 4th through October 11th.  It is so hard planning a huge trip like this!  When we finally figured out the general plan, "We are the Champions" started playing and we both went crazy with excitement and belted out the song.  We are the champions of New Zealand, and soon to be Australia and the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment