Wednesday, June 30, 2010

On the way to Queenstown

Today we went to the blue pools of Haast Pass and found a yellow feather of an endangered bird.  The deep azure blue water is from the glaciers, and is so incredibly clear I could see right to the bottom.  The fish looked like they were suspended in the air!

Blue Pools of Haast Pass
Kawarau Bridge Bungy
We then drove toward Queenstown.  On the way we stopped at the world's first commercial bungy jump place - The Kawarau Bridge Bungy.  AJ Hackett and Henry Van Ash set up the 43 metre jump in 1988.  My family and I watched in awe and excitement as people plummeted off the bridge.  Who knows ... maybe I'll come back here and give it a try!  I don't know if I could ever make that first step after a count of three.

Queenstown is the most beautiful city I have ever visited!  It is surrounded by The Remarkables.  The mountains were named this because they are one of only two mountain ranges in the world which run directly north to south.  An alternate explanation for the name given by locals is that early Queenstown settlers, upon seeing the mountain range during sunset one evening, named them the Remarkables to describe the sight.  We walked around town and ate dinner at Pog Monhogan's Irish pub/restaurant.  I had delicious coconut and pumkin soup and salmon and portobello mushroom risotto.  SO GOOD.  Back in the campervan we watched some a house swap episode on television.  I never knew crazy people could be so obsessed with coupons.  Hahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment